Bonlee Music Ministry
We’re excited that you’re interested in being a part of the worship team at Bonlee Baptist! It is a fun, challenging, and rewarding ministry. If God has gifted you with musical or technical talent, we want you to be able to use it for His glory! This is a somewhat complex ministry with many moving parts. So for your advantage, and that of the music ministry as a whole, there is a short process to become a regularly scheduled member of the worship team. Here are the first few steps…
- Prayerfully consider your involvement.
- Please read the following information in its entirety (There is a lot of important information that you will need to know).
- Fill out the interest form below and click submit.
- Someone on the worship team will contact you as soon as possible.
Questions are welcome…
The mission of Bonlee Baptist Church is to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ through – Loving God, Loving People, and Serving Both. The music ministry seeks to enhance that mission by giving our people an opportunity to praise God together in a weekend worship environment, and then sending them out to be God’s hands and feet the other 99% of the week.
Team Commitment and Expectations
We want worship to be simple. Accessible. Singing to God with a sincere heart does not have or need to be complex. With that said there is a certain level of preparation, planning, and practice that goes into making each and every worship service simple. Because of this, there is a certain level of commitment that is required from the music ministry team that exceeds other ministries. This commitment can take on many forms. Here are a few practical areas where the level of commitment is most evident.
- Spiritual Preparation: Worship on a platform is the overflow of a lifestyle of worship and a heart that is well-cultivated throughout the week. Personal spiritual intimacy with Jesus is our FIRST priority. One hour on a Sunday morning is a mere .6% of a week. If the only time you “worship” is .6% of your week, something is wrong. How can we lead people where we haven’t gone ourselves?
- Musical Preparation: Rehearsals are infinitely smoother when everyone has listened to, practiced with and memorized the scheduled music. Being prepared also means having any gear or equipment that you intend to use on Sunday with you for practice (lyric sheets or chord charts are provided on Planning Center Online – more on this later). Unless otherwise posted, you are expected to learn your parts exactly like the MP3, giving special attention to the tonal qualities of each instrument. For teamwork to happen effectively, we rely on you to play your part accordingly.
- Attitude: When ideas or suggestions are presented and received with a good attitude, the results are monumental for effective team building. If there are technical, musical or miscellaneous complications, keep attitudes positive and morale high. Be open to the constructive criticism of the Bonlee Music Ministry leadership. They are trying to pull out every bit of greatness in you they can find, so be patient and receptive to constructive feedback.
- Punctuality: Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s important that everyone be punctual for rehearsals so that we can use our limited time as efficiently as possible. Arriving early is always a great idea. We are very serious about punctuality. Being on time is a respect issue. Tardiness communicates a lack of respect for your colleagues, for Bonlee, and for the Lord. If an unexpected situation arises and you know you will be late, please communicate as quickly as possible with the worship leader.
- Dress: Bonlee has a very relaxed unofficial “dress code.” However, there are a few basic requirements. Shoulders, cleavage, and the mid-section should be completely covered at all times. Skirts are allowed but should come down well below the knee. Shorts of any length and any article of clothing with questionable text or graphics should not be worn. We want everyone’s focus to be on God. Anything that takes focus off of Him is a hindrance to our ultimate goal. Should your choice of clothing not meet this standard, you will not be able to lead until it has been resolved. This decision is up to the pastor or the worship leader.
- Flexibility: The ministry leaders will always try to give adequate notice of schedule or setlist changes. While it is not uncommon for these changes to take place, it is only done when necessary. It is recommended that you periodically check back with Planning Center to view any potential changes.
Process- Joining the Team
Once you submit the interest form below, a member of the Music Ministry will contact you to arrange a face-to-face meeting.
The meeting itself will cover the vision, expectations, and ministry opportunities within the Bonlee Music Ministry.
Take a moment to review the schedule below. This is the normal weekly schedule and commitment expectations for those leading in worship on Sunday.
Week Night Meeting (1.5–2 hrs)
- Arrival and setup (6:00pm-6:15pm)
- Devotional/Prayer time (6:15pm–6:30pm)
- Rehearsal (6:30pm–7:30pm)
Friday – Saturday (1-2 hr)
- At home preparation
Sunday (3 hrs)
- Final run-through and prayer (9am)
- Worship Service (11:00am)